Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sick Day

If something is going well, never think about it or inevitably something will turn that around for you. Okay, not really, but in this case it did. I was just thinking the other day that for as little sleep as I get, I hadn't been sick in a while. Even after we started Isaiah in preschool, he and our family had only had two minor colds and a couple of random fevers for the kids. I like to think that's because Jake and I have always felt very strongly about not being paranoid and taking our kids to the park and various germ exposing places often. But two days ago I started getting a very minor cold.....or so I thought. I was thankful Jake was on a three day off period because I thought that would be plenty of time for me to get over this MINOR cold. WRONG! In the middle of the night last night that thing mustered up all it had and clothes lined me. Never saw it coming.

Needless to say, I've been in bed all day. ALL DAY. Do you know how hard that is for a mom? It drives me nuts! I told Jake, "I don't know what's worse, feeling like crap? Or not being able to do anything?" I still don't know. I always feel guilty when I'm sick and Jake has to do everything. I don't know why I do that to myself, it's so stupid! He never makes me feel that way, but I always do. So I end up laying in bed feeling guilty all day. It sucks. But even in sickness I like to "check" myself. Meaning, I like to try to think of something good about it. Without fail, military spouses always pop into my head. How do they do it? When they are sick, their husbands/wives can't just stay home from work. They HAVE to do it. That's when I'm thankful that I have a husband who has a job where he is able to call in sick and I'm extremely thankful for our military families.

You see, when you're a mom, most of the time there is no "calling in sick". It's a job that doesn't allow for that. When you have a migraine, or you're exhausted from getting no sleep the night before, or you have a cold and just aren't feeling good, you suck it up. You suck it up and you usually take care of all the other sick people in your house. Whenever I tell Jake I feel bad that he has to stay home on occasions like this, he likes to remind me of that. He reminds me that when he's at work, he can get away with a cold because he doesn't have three small children to take care of all day. But when you're a mom, you're at work from 6am until 9pm non-stop. So I try to remember that and give myself a break.

I'm trying to "enjoy" my sick day laying in bed watching TV, surfing the net on my laptop, crocheting, and best of all, cuddling with my little love bugs :)

Speaking of "little love bugs" here are some pics of my sweet baby girl who apparently grew up over night. She climbs on EVERYTHING! I thought the boys were crazy, oh no, she is way crazier with climbing. We found her up in the play structure yesterday and realized that she figured out how to climb up the ladder into it. Then we found her in the fireplace and her new favorite spot, her brother's bed which she can climb in and out of! Crazy girl.


1 comment:

  1. I so feel the same way when I'm sick. When I hurt my back, I was stuck in bed for a WEEK! I felt horrible about that. Then Nolan reminds me that if I don't sit back and let myself heal, everything would get worse. We're blessed with the husbands we have :) I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete