Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 started out kind of crappy. Literally......

If there is any type of person who knows more about poop than gastroenterologists or proctologists, it's a mom. Guaranteed. I've seen it all. Well, unfortunately probably not,  but I have seen so much variety in types of poop I could possibly write one of those funny bathroom books (or..changing table book? hmmm..). I've seen more of a variety in color, smell, and texture in poop than I ever thought possible. Am I proud of this? You betcha, because it means I'm doing my job as a mom!! Yep, monitoring poop. Bet you never thought you would wear the badge of "Poop Police" as a mom, did you? Well, you will. 24-7.

Let's add monitoring poop to the list of "Things I'd never thought I'd say or do in Life."  There have been so many times when Jake has been changing a diaper in the back room and a conversation from the front of the house to the back of the house ensues like this: "How's his poop?" "Um...poop I guess.." "Yeah, but was it diarrhea?" "Umm, kind of." "Watery? Or Pasty?" "Sort of in between I guess." "Well did it smell like diarrhea?" - the conversation usually ends there with "I don't know, come and look!"

Now, you may be thinking (okay, PROBABLY thinking), "Eeew! Disgusting!" or "What a freak, is she obsessed with poop?". Justified, I"ll give you that. But no, I'm a mom. It happens. I consider it part of my job to make sure my kids are healthy and part of that is pooping...right? I don't obsess every day about every poop, but certain circumstances warrant "poop monitoring". Like the one last night with Christian.

This is a lot of talk about poop so I'll make this short. He hadn't pooped in 5 days, and was REALLY uncomfortable. It was really sad. Trust me, I tried every home remedy. That kid had cement in his intestines apparently. Why? Oh, because he and Isaiah like to try and sneak the entire block of cheese out of the refrigerator and share it hunkered down in a corner. Anyway, off to the Emergency Room we went last night after nothing had helped and he was really hurting. Sadly, as I had suspected, poor guy got an "oh so fun" enema. Needless to say, my night consisted of holding down (with all my weight and two other adults) my screaming son while they did what NOBODY wants done to them, and a lot of poop. Poop everywhere. It was really sad, but it worked.

I hated holding him down while he screamed for me to hold him. While he screamed to just go home. But sometimes when you're a mom you have to do things you really don't want to do but have to because you know it's what's best for your child.

Hmmmm, kind of reminds me of what God must feel like a lot.....

1 comment:

  1. Aww, poor guy! I'm sorry Caytie. I heard about the cheese but I didn't know they either did it again or were still dealing with the effects! :( I'm pretty sure God does feel like that with us! But He knows it is for our own good, just like you did when you had to hold Christian. What a blessing that you get to learn more about God's character through your life!

    ReplyDelete